Thursday, June 3, 2010

"What Will I Be?" Chapter 6.

The tension drove me insane. Where would they put me to work? I woke up early that day when we would be told our work location. Not too specific because we were only told what park and what area of the park.

(Attractions) was the role selected for me at the beginning when I received a confirmation email. But that could mean so many different places at any of the four parks and even one spot at Downtown Disney. Me and my roommates boarded a bus to Casting just outside of Downtown Disney and as we drove I secretly crossed my fingers in hopes of one particular ride.

'The Haunted Mansion! Oh please, please, please put me at The Haunted Mansion!' I repeated over and over again in my mind. No where else would do.

One thing that most people have to realize when it comes to being cast in your role, the whole thing is a coin toss. You can be selected for Quick Service Food and Beverage, but who knows where that will be, if you'll have more than one location, or how long you spend at each location? For those who have been chosen in the role of (Attractions: MK, Ad/Lib.) which is short for: Magic Kingdom, Adventureland/Liberty Square. This means that you are assigned one of the rides in those two lands. Ad/Lib. are in the same area and I believe it's been that way ever since the beginning. All of the attractions listed are possible for Disney CP's to be placed in.

Adventureland:
The Enchanted Tiki Room.
Robbinson Family Treehouse.
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin.
Jungle Cruise.
Pirates of the Caribbean.

Liberty Square:
The Haunted Mansion.

*Three of Adventureland's attractions are linked together and have you wear the same costume. These are: Tiki, Treehouse, and Aladdin. Jungle Cruise, and POTC have their own individual wardrobes.

*NOTICE how I mentioned that Liberty Square has only one ride for CP's and it so happens to be "The Haunted Mansion", probably one of Disney's most popular attractions. It never used to be open for CP's, but that was changed only a short while ago. There's a chance you may get there but it's pretty slim. Mansion hires maybe one U.S. college student per semester unless the student from last semester decided to stick around for an 'Extension'. If you get selected for this special role I hope you find some joy in it because thousands of others want what you have.

I recall being in a group of three students, two guys and one girl, led by a Disney Attractions Trainer (whom was probably the nicest trainer ever) to our location and finally to costuming. The only girl in my group wanted desperately to work at the HOP or "Hall of Presidents" mainly because she was majoring in government. The moment had arrived and we were handed our costume information packets that explain what accessories are appropriate for our roles that meet the 'Disney Look' standard.

I was handed the first packet. When we each had one grasped in our eager hands the pristine envelope was torn away leaving a three paged stapled booklet with the first page showing a picture of our costume. The two standing at my right were both given the same "skipper" costume which meant they would be assigned to *Jungle Cruise*, an entirely outdoor attraction requiring books of spieling that frankly wouldn't be something I probably couldn't handle. I was last to open my envelope and almost didn't recognize the costume I saw.

I said, "I think it's a pirate..." I was right.

Pirates of the Caribbean.... I was soooo relieved, but I was also slightly disappointed. I had my whole heart set on Mansion to the point where anything else probably would've devastated me. None the less I received it with full appreciation. It turned out to be my trainer's favorite ride.

"Glad to have you aboard, mate", she said.

3 comments:

  1. When do you find out what park you'll be in? Disney College Program's website just says "Attractions" when I log in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They told me at the Casting building what park, but I had no idea what ride until after traditions.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful for this post. I have been so curious as to how this process was going to happen. I too am in attractions this coming Spring and I'd really like to be a skipper. This anticipation is driving me crazy!

    ReplyDelete