Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"First Visit to the Park" Chapter 5.

Just after me and 50 other students attended our introductory meeting at Disney University, we were finally given our I.D. badges that allow us to enter the park for work and for pleasure. When students go to work, they carry both their housing and work I.D. with them. The bus drivers who provide free transportation to the parks have to check your housing I.D. to let you ride and Security at the parks needs both housing and work I.D.'s to let you go to work. If you are without either one, you won't get fat at all. So most students wear special cast member lanyards to carry both around their necks. It's harder to lose that way while its around your neck, but when you're not using it, make sure you keep it somewhere you can see it everyday. After the meeting, you have plenty of time to find yourself one of these lanyards that are issued exclusively to cast members. Wear 'em proudly.

I vowed that if I ever made it to the resort, I would ride The Haunted Mansion first thing, no question. I'd always been a huge fan of the ride even thought I've never been able to see it.

"Then why get so crazy about it?", you may ask. Well, thanks to these travel shows like TLC, Discovery and Modern Marvels Disney really loved showing me what I was missing. And though I was a newbie to the park, I stil managed to find my why around. After all, the layout of the various lands is simple enough to navigate the way Walt himself envisioned it should be.

I had originally gone with a roommate of mine but we parted ways after reaching the T.T.C. (Ticket and Transportation Center) monorail station. He wanted to turn around and go home to have dinner with another roommate, but he said it was okay if I wanted to go on my own. So I did. After a minute or two of the classic monorail car spiels and the view from high on the cement track, I stood with mouth slightly agape staring at the Railroad. I'd seen this classic entrance before at a local theme park here in Iowa, but it can't compare to the real deal. Music was everywhere the moment I stepped out of the car. Behind me was the late with a fresh boat full of guests. There before me was 'Lilly Belle', one of the trains that circled the Magic Kingdom.

I traveled down Main Street U.S.A., past the fire station, emporium, confectionery, Kasey's Corner, and the Hub. The castle was illuminated in bright blue with the Partner's statue (Walt and Mickey facing Main Street and the Railroad ) glowing in bronze. Through Cinderella Castle would be Fantasyland, but I knew I was looking for Liberty Square. Long story short, I found The Mansion cloaked in darkness with a splash of occasional thunder and lightning. Then I wandered around until I discovered Pirates of the Caribbean. Little did I know how this first ride on 'Pirates' would be one of hundreds I would make over the next seven months.

No comments:

Post a Comment