Thursday, May 27, 2010

"The First Night" Chapter 2.

I strolled into the tropically themed hotel lobby and checked in at the front desk, asking for a wake up call at 8 o'clock a.m. to be bright and early for check in with Disney housing. Later, I found myself reclined on a queen bed at the Holiday Inn Sun Spree directly across the street from the Vista Way complex outside Little Lake Bryan. My television was on, and I was utilizing the free wifi service to update my facebook. I didn't quite have the energy to view or test the swimming pool, nor could I see it from my window, which overlooked a gas station next door. Not the most luxurious of accommodations, but I was too busy concerning myself with the tasks ahead, where to find food.

(I had no cash on me because I neglected to check on which airport I would be landing in. It was The Orlando/Sanford and it was located almost 45 minutes from my hotel. There was no shuttle so I had to hail a taxi. The cost was incredibly bad and it's too embarrassing to talk about. I'm ashamed of myself.)

I decided to walk to the Wendy's across the street which was packed full, FULL of people. It was one of the most humid evenings I'd ever experienced and by far it wasn't the last I would see in Florida. The trek there from my room was one of the longest and most awkward walks I'd ever taken. There was no sidewalk for a good portion of the way and several guys chilling in front of the Seven Eleven were watching me. Luckily they were uninterested in where I was going and resumed their muddled conversation amongst themselves while I got further away. I maneuvered through the cross walk and made it there to see all the long line comprised of fellow College participants and regular folks waiting for their order. I waited a total of one hand a half hours to get my lukewarm food. *Added to my incredible luck, the machine was totally out of ice* So I ate my late room temperature dinner in the tranquility of my suite. After a shower, I retired to bed. Tomorrow was definitely going to be a better day.

No comments:

Post a Comment