Wednesday, May 26, 2010

"It Begins Here" Chapter 1.

I drove over a hundred miles to attend what Disney called an E-Presentation. Watching a video montage of the collective theme parks and different classic films and listening to the different cast members past basically filled up the whole of an hour. There are several places to end up in the Disney company when you apply for and internship. There are positions at many rides and resort hotels, jobs in the restaurants and beverage carts, or selling those famous Mickey ears at merchandize locations. I knew where I wanted to end up. I wanted to be a character dancing around in a parade or on a float. I wanted most of all to be placed in The Magic Kingdom.

After the presentation I was interviewed by a pleasant woman from the casting office in Florida and talked for what seemed like forever about random things. 'Where did your interest in Disney begin?', she asked. 'What is your dream role with us at the Disney World Resort? Do you have a special skill? Have you ever been away from home before?' There was far too much to say. I would talk about every thing and any thing I could to sway her decision to let me in. I poured on the charm and the magic to make my eloquent speech more and more heartfelt. Once the conversation had ended I struggled to catch my breath. I felt like I might've said too much and thought that I blew my chances forever. That's it. Now I'll never fulfill my dream.

Six weeks passed, then another few days. I was told that I would hear back from her (my recruiter) in less time than what had already passed. I called again and was told that she was just coming back from vacation. She seemed groggy and uninterested in my reason for calling. But still, I chimed into the receiver with a cheery attitude in a typical 'cast member way'. I told her that I still didn't get confirmation and after a brief pause.....'Okay, you're in.' And even though the gift came wrapped in a sulking tone and piled high with jet lag, I celebrated like I had won the lottery. My purple folder came in the mail shortly after and I studied up on the necessary paperwork that would need to be done and saved up the cash.

No comments:

Post a Comment